Venue: Room 6, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham. View directions
Contact: Democratic Services 01895 837236; Email: email@example.com
To approve the minutes of the Licensing Committee held on 26 September 2018.
The minutes of the Licensing Committee held on 26 September 2018 were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
Consideration was given to a report which informed Members of a consultation exercise undertaken by the Department of Transport, regarding Hackney Carriage and Private Hire statutory guidance and which requested approval to the proposed South Bucks District Council response to the consultation.
The Council’s Licensing Manager informed Members that a Task and Finish Group (TFG) on Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licensing was established in September 2017. The group's remit was to consider evidence relating to the adequacy of current Taxi and Private Hire vehicle (PHV) licensing authority powers, as set out in legislation and guidance, and to make recommendations for actions to address any priority issues identified.
In September 2018, the TFG published their findings in a report titled ‘Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licensing: Steps towards a safer and more robust system’. The report contained 34 recommendations, some of which were suggested to be already possible and should be implemented immediately, whilst others required further legislation.
The Sub-Committee was informed that one of the recommendations was for the Department of Transport to undertake the consultation with local licensing authorities.
The Sub-Committee was also provided with the Government’s response to the report of the TFG.
Members were provided with officers draft responses to the consultation. The following amendments, additions and comments were made to the officer responses in the consultation:
• In relation to question 3 – "The draft statutory guidance recommends that all those involved in the determination of licensing matters should receive training covering licensing procedures, natural justice, child sexual abuse and exploitation, disability and equality in addition to any other issues deemed locally appropriate" – It was agreed that a comment should be added to request what was meant by "natural justice?"
• In relation to question 4 – "The draft statutory guidance recommends a council structure for dealing with licensing matters (paragraphs 2.20-2.24). Do you agree with this proposed structure?" – It was noted that there was a typo in the suggested comment and that this should be amended accordingly to read "Whilst this appears…"
• In relation to question 7 – "The draft statutory guidance recommends that all licence holders should be required to subscribe to the DBS update service." – It was agreed that a comment should be added that this should be mandatory.
• In relation to question 9 – "The draft statutory guidance recommends that drivers and operators should be required to notify the issuing authority within 48 hours upon arrest and release, charge or conviction of any motoring offence or any offence involving dishonesty, indecency or violence" – It was agreed that a comment should be added that this should be mandatory.
• In relation to question 12 – "The draft statutory guidance recommends that licensing authorities should require applicants / licensees to disclose if they have been licensed elsewhere, or have had an application for a licence refused, or have a licence revoked or suspended by any other licensing authority. Members agreed that a single data base of all ... view the full minutes text for item 26.