Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
This report sets out the proposal that has been developed for a Buckinghamshire Recovery and Growth deal proposition for Government. The proposition will build on the strengths, partnerships, and opportunities within the County to enable Buckinghamshire and the Government to support key ‘bounce back’ objectives and enable the ‘levelling-up’ agenda in other parts of the country.
Cabinet was asked to consider a proposal which had been developed to set out a Buckinghamshire Recovery and Growth Deal proposition for Government.
Comments by Cabinet were as follows:-
· To check whether the map of Buckinghamshire could be superimposed on the map of the Country.
· As and where there are social mobility issues it was important to focus on the local economy as local businesses know what is best for development, not just focusing at the top end of the skills set but also bringing in opportunities at the apprenticeship level as well as devolution of the apprenticeship fund, to cater for all aspects of the employment market.
· Buckinghamshire was known for its high number of ‘start-ups’ and it was important to particularly provide assistance to young people because of the legacy of covid-19 and the need to generate new businesses.
· It was important for the bid to address areas of improvement such as digital connectivity, skills matching job opportunities and traffic congestion whilst also recognising development areas such as Winslow, which was ideally placed with its new green business park with East – West rail connections, Buckingham University and proximity to Silverstone.
Cabinet agreed to:-
· Support the Buckinghamshire Recovery and Growth Deal Proposal
· Delegate to the Leader of the Council the power to make & approve any minor amendments in light of any comments after Cabinet
· Approve the submission of the Proposal to Government by the Buckinghamshire Growth Board
Details of any conflict of interest declared: None
Contact: Sarah Ashmead, Deputy Chief Executive Email: Sarah.Ashmead@buckinghamshire.gov.uk.
Report author: Sarah Ashmead
Publication date: 10/11/2020
Date of decision: 10/11/2020
Decided at meeting: 10/11/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 18/11/2020